Health News Headlines

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

6 Secrets on How to Look 10 Years Younger

People often comment that I look younger than my actual age. What's funny is that after their initial surprised reaction about my age, rarely do they follow up with questions like "what do you eat?" or "what do you do for exercise?" or "do you take anything?"

I think most people don't really want to hear it, because it means they may have to change their lifestyle! The truth can be tough to take.

But since I am 38 and someone the other night that I just met thought I was 28, I wanted to let out some of my secrets! If you start implementing a few things now, you will likely slow your aging process drastically, and 10 years will not have a big impact on your appearance.

Here are my secrets that I've been practicing for about 10 years now:

1. Start with your diet. Cut way down on sugars. Eat a low carbohydrate diet, meaning, cut out sodas, cereals, and fast food, and cut down on your bread and pasta intake. What's really great about this is that it will flatten out your tummy in addition to allowing you to look and feel younger.

2. Exercise, but don't overdo it. I typically do some kind of exercise daily, but I don't exactly pound myself into the ground. Sometimes it's a walk, sometimes a 30 minute swim or weight session...but I'm not a proponent of trying to burn off lots of calories and wear yourself out so that you can gorge on unhealthy food!

3. Eat fish and take fish oils. Not only are you doing something healthy for your heart by getting natural anti-inflammatory properties in fish oil, but you are helping out your skin and eyes as well!

4. Drink plenty of water. I know you've heard this one so technically it's probably not a secret. BUT, one thing that I learned more recently is just how dehydrated we are when we wake up. It's SUPER important to drink a full glass of water upon awakening to restore that hydration and keep energy levels up as well as keep the skin from drying out and wrinkling.

5. Drink green tea. Research has shown the properties in green tea can help with fat burning and weight loss. Plus it's loaded with anti-oxidants. You have to drink at least a couple of cups a day though to get the health benefits.

6. Do not avoid sunlight. I typically get around 20-30 minutes of peak (between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.) sunlight a day. Of course, avoiding sunburn is very important in not forming wrinkles as most people know, but natural sunlight in these small doses allows your body to produce Vitamin D- very important in fighting cancer and other diseases.

No comments:

Post a Comment